Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Land Reclamation

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Land Reclamation
From: Andy Black <ablack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:44:02 -0700 (MST)

Hi

I wish to propose a method for dealing with land reclmation.  If I
understand corectly, land reclmation works by building a wall in the ocean
that is higher than the sea level, then leting the water inside the wall
evaporate.  How this could work is your enginer starts on land and moves
into the water.  Before the enginer moves you have to confirm the move.
the enginer then transforms the water into a useable land type.  The land
also has an improvement on it called dikes.  If someone pillages the dikes
and they are opened to the sea, the sea floods the area that was blocked
by the dike.  All cities, units (excluding boats/units on boats),
improvements, et cetra,  within the floded area are destroyed. Production
within the square is reduced by 1 if producing more than 2 units of a kind
are produced.  Boats can travel within the diked area because canals are
built within the dike system.

Andy Black
(I'll send my ideas about the chunel in soon)