Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Pacts patch (alpha quality)

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Pacts patch (alpha quality)
From: "Alexandre BERAUD" <a_beraud@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:36:51 +0100 (MET)

>> Civ2: Allies can not share territory, cities or boats. Wounded
>> units can be repaired by allied cities (with barracks?) by trying
>> to move into them. When an alliance is cancelled, all units closer
>> to non-allied territory than your own will be teleported back home.
>> Sneak attacking is not possible, alliance has to be cancelled
>> formally first. While in alliance, units can be in friend's
>> city radius without occupying the square for production purposes.
>
>Please lets not be inhibited by civ 2's shortcommings. Allied units
sharing
>tiles us great.

Warning: if there must be a Civ2 style, we MUST get inhibited by Civ2
rules. I admit that I do not like following all the Civ2 rules. But
Civ2 style should be the exact copy of the original.
However, I vote for a complete ressources/territory sharing between
allies, because it makes it more different from the simple Peace state
(in Freeciv style).

>> Civ2: ZOC still working in peace. After breaking an alliance,
>> you enter "Contact", not "Peace", IIRC. Of course you can attack,
>> even when in peace, that brings you into "War" state.
>> Sneak attacks hurts your reputation.
>> While in peace, units will occupy friend's production if in city
>> radius. You can demand that he withdraws his troops,
>> which he MUST comply, or war is automatically declared.
>
>Please lets not be inhibited by civ 2's shortcommings. Peace seems the
right
>thing after allience. When in peace or allience units shouldn't
displace city
>workers.
>What we needs is borders implemented. They work great in SMAC.

I disagree. Peace is not the normal sequel to Alliance. There can be
several situations, and you or the AI should decide whether you change
directly to war, or only to simple peace state.
Once again, Civ2 style makes it necessary to accept the original rules.

"Holy war for holy fools,
 Blessed are those who break the rules."
             - Samael -