Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Pacts patch (alpha quality)

To: "'freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Pacts patch (alpha quality)
From: "Haugdahl, Stig" <Stig.Haugdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:17:32 +0100

>  * there are six states of relation, corresponding to (my memory of)
>    CivII rules:
>
>    "Neutral" is the default state.  The normal ZOC and other rules
>    apply in this state.

In Civ2, this would be "No contact". The next stage, "Contact"
is established when any two land units meet. While "No contact",
sea (and air?) units may freely engage each other (and engage
land units). When contact is established, you will usually end up
in another state (peace or war) fast (democracy and republic will
often force peace). While in "Contact", you can declare war (or
sneak attack), which will NOT hurt your reputation.

>    "Alliance" can be entered from the diplomacy dialog.  If two
>    players have an alliance, they can share territory; ZOC is ignored
>    between the two players; they can occupy each others cities and be
>    transported on each others boats; and they don't interfere with
>    each others production.

Civ2: Allies can not share territory, cities or boats. Wounded
units can be repaired by allied cities (with barracks?) by trying
to move into them. When an alliance is cancelled, all units closer
to non-allied territory than your own will be teleported back home.
Sneak attacking is not possible, alliance has to be cancelled
formally first. While in alliance, units can be in friend's
city radius without occupying the square for production purposes.

>    "Peace" can be entered from the diplomacy dialog or by breaking an
>    alliance.  ZOC is ignored between the players, and you can't
>    attack.

Civ2: ZOC still working in peace. After breaking an alliance,
you enter "Contact", not "Peace", IIRC. Of course you can attack,
even when in peace, that brings you into "War" state.
Sneak attacks hurts your reputation.
While in peace, units will occupy friend's production if in city
radius. You can demand that he withdraws his troops,
which he MUST comply, or war is automatically declared.

>    "War" is entered when a peace treaty is broken.  Normal ZOC rules
>    and other rules apply.

When peace treaty is formally cancelled, you enter "Contact".
"War" is entered by formal declaration or by sneak attacks.
War declaration hurts your reputation, unless it is declared
after a hostile diplomatic action, you get a pop-up if a player
succeeds in spying, sabotaging or nuke planting.
While in war, units will occupy enemy's production if in city
radius. You can NOT demand that he withdraws his troops,
of course.

>    "Ceasefire" can be entered from the diplomacy dialog.  It's like
>    peace, but only lasts a set number of turns before expiring.

Can only be entered if you are in "War", of course. It is
automatically updated each time one of the parties accepts a
gift from the other. Attacking while in "Ceasefire" hurts your
reputation.
While in ceasefire, units will occupy enemy's production if in
city radius. You can NOT demand that he withdraws his troops.

>  * governments with a senate (republic, democracy) may overrule your
>    decision to break a pact, and may even dissolve and plunge you into
>    revolution.  This follows (my memory of) CivII rules.

Republic overrules 50%, democracy 100% of all war declarations.
With United Nations, republic never overrules, demo 50%.
You may still sneak attack, which will force revolution per same
propabilities.