Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Nations

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Nations
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:00:07 -0500

At 2000/02/29 09:14 , Lalo Martins wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 05:43:35AM -0800, Steven Burnap wrote:
>>
>> When the French showed up in that, they asked a local tribe who the
>> people up the river were.  The tribe responded with something that
>> the French transliterated into "Sioux".  Since the tribes in question
>> didn't like each other, it was a derogatory word.  (Can't remember
>> which right now.)  The people in question prefer to be called "Lakota".

Hum.  Looking at <http://www.sioux.org/tribal_history.htm>, it seems
"Lakota" refers to only one of three divisions of the "Sioux".  It also
seems they use the word "Sioux", themselves.  So, let's leave it unless and
until further evidence crops up.

I did like the part of the patch which names the Cheyenne flag correctly,
so I committed that part (adding the change to misc/shields.spec).

jjm