Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ranking system - invitation to discussion

To: Arkadiusz Danilecki <szopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Ranking system - invitation to discussion
From: Mika Korhonen <mikak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:30:22 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Arkadiusz Danilecki wrote:

>3) Ranking should encourage players to games; there should be always way
>to get higher rank than players who stop play.

>Still have no idea how to fulfill 3) postulate.

Just make the ranking drop slowly over time (like a capacitor over a large
resistance). I think that's the way they do it in tennis (ATP). It is also
certainly worth exploring other systems. There are many existing ranking
systems in the sports domain as well as in gaming. Have a look around,
gather the nice things and customize :-)

        Mika
I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
                -- Mark Twain