Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Making big cities more important

To: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Alexandre BERAUD <a_beraud@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Making big cities more important
From: <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:30:39 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Tobias Brox wrote:

> > So, what about having some attractive cities suck the populations of
> > other cities close to them. It would be fun to have some cities reduce
> > by lack of industries or so, and sometimes become ruins. They would be
> > remains of the old times.

I love this idea...

> I like that idea, having "attractiveness" defined as the citys total
> entertainment production minus pollution production maybe.  It would be
> realistic for a democracy or republic, I think.  Maintaining a small
> working population at isolated polluted industrial sites (i.e. near a coal
> mine) might (in reality) be quite expensive, I think - except if you have
> the power to force the workforce to settle there and keep staying there
> (i.e. Stalinism, Despotism, etc)

I think perhaps it should start happening after someone researchers
industrial age, also perhaps this is a better time to change the pictures
of the cities? I mean i think the industrial revolution did more than the
railway when it comes to city design...

Just my 2 cents.

Darth bob