[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Run for your lives! The disasters are coming!

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Run for your lives! The disasters are coming!
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:05:06 EST

From: Daniel Zinsli <s830+priv@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 29 Feb 2000 14:20:29 +0100

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Yes, most definitely. But it's a compatibility feature, at least with Civ I. If it works, tt would be a shame to let the code go to waste, in my opinion.

Yes, If the code is finished, we should put it into the cvs, but
disabled as default, IMHO.

The coding is not particularly hard, because the disasters ruleset only depends on 3 other rulesets, and it doesn't really affect the code structure, but just a simple extension of existing rulesets. It would be even cleaner once the new generalized buildings ruleset is in place. I actually should have waited for it, so the now "finished" code is more like a proof of concept, because I just want to see how the rulesets work. And it still needs polishing anyway.

The question here is whether people want this feature. Sure it was in Civ1, but how many people still play in Civ1 mode? More importantly, how many people want to see it in Freeciv mode? From the response (or lack thereof) in the list, I feel that not many people are fond of the idea of disasters (which should be pretty obvious, if you think about it).

In any case, I will improve the code and keep it up to date, and it can be put in once the dust has settled on the buildings ruleset.

Mike