[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Valutas patch + HELP !

To: Alexandre BERAUD <a_beraud@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Valutas patch + HELP !
From: paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 08:55:16 -0800

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 05:22:59PM +0100, Alexandre BERAUD wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >I think, just to be interesting you could change Dúnedain to "mithril".
>
> >This was a more valuable metal than gold, and could have easily been
> >used as money.
>
> There are very few references to money in Tolkien's books. But I think
> gold is better, because mithril is extremely rare and even if there
> could be mithril coins, there would also be plenty of gold ones.
> Moreover, mithril is a very very hard metal and only dwarves could make
> coins with it.
> But I admit it would be fun and original to use it in Freeciv.

Well like I said below... but I think it would be interesting.

> >(Although if someone wanted to get technical they could make a case
> that
> >it was too rare.)
>
> Indeed. only available in the Moria. Would you like to go there and dig
> a little ;o)

Well I do have a few references to Mithril in regards to the Dúnedain
(Númenoreans).

Footnote 31 following the word mithril in "The Disaster of the Gladden
Fields" in _Unfinished Tales_ says:
  "For that metal was found in Númenor."

From "The Line of Elros":
  "This King was so called (Tar-Telemmaitë i.e. Silver Handed) because of
  his love of silver, and he bade his servants to seek ever for mithril."

Also the Gwaith-i-Mírdan were also skilled in the working of mithril.

> >If Mordor does get included, I think "elf ears" would be appropriate,
> >however, this is very far from standard PayCiv... people should know
> >what they are getting into if they select Mordor! ;)
>
> Wow, and players could incarnate Sauron ????? :o))

Yes he is a leader choice for Mordor.

> Nom, I have a request. It has been months since I have played Freeciv
> for the last time. Some of you might remember my poor old bad-installed
> Slackware distro. Recently I installed Slack 7 and then, installed
> Freeciv 1.9.? but when I try to connect with the client, it doesn't
> find the server. I can't remember the message and I don't have my
> computer here, but do you know what might be the problem (any program
> lacking ?).

Yes I remember :)  I think I would start by checking out your network
setup.  Is loopback (i.e. 127.0.0.1) set up?  Is localhost in /etc/hosts
as 127.0.0.1?

> Another question: why is Freeciv so big, now ? Can't fit on a single
> disk.

Because a lot of stuff is going in there now?

--
Paul Zastoupil