[Freeciv-Dev] Nations policy

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Nations policy
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:06:45 +0100

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 05:52:48PM +0100, Tobias Brox wrote:
> I have a feeling that we're just adding and adding and adding nations
> without any policies.  Won't it be a bit messy with some hundreds of
> nations to choose from at the startup screen?  What's more important,
> nations that exists in the post-modern world, or great civilizations that
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> had their peeks at more than two thousand years ago?  And the same goes to
> when creating the ruleset, should the modern world be promoted, or the
> ancient world?

We should not allow nations newer than 500 years.

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 09:34:59AM +0100, Stig Erik Sandoe wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > Norwegian/Icelandic spelling for them is a good thing.
> > Please send patch.
>
> I understand that a split of the two was ok?

Not really. There are very little Icelandics.
They can't be in freeciv, unless as part of bigger nation.

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 04:06:02PM +0000, Jason Todd wrote:
>  You know, you could just relegate the Romans to the ancients mod,
> replacing them with the Italians. Now that would make freeciv really in
> sync with the real world.

Civ w/o Romans is not the same.
Can Caesar be Italian leader ?
( adding Mussolini as new Roman leader is ok for me )

I agree with Tobias, that something is going wrong
(althru I added 4 nations myself).

Proposed Policy, (please comment) :

1) Every nation has at least 2 and at most 8 leaders

2) Every nation has unique and easyly distinguishable flag.
   If possible the same as state that is associated with the nation.

3) Every nations is called after first historical name.
   If possible NOT from state name, but tribe name.

4) City names should be unique in game, and there should be
   enough cities to not need to use global nameset early.
   No upper bound for city amount is set.

--- end ---

Point 1 :
Czechs      - 16, too much
Australian  - only 1
T'aejong    - only 1

Point 2 :
There was some Roman/Inca problem reported.
Zulus should not use white-settlers' flag.

Point 3 :

Good names are :
Roman         Babylonian   German     Egyptian
Greek         Zulu         Persian    Arab
Carthaginian  Inca         Viking     Mongol
Thai          Japanese     Sioux      Turk
Welsh         Scottish     Korean     Aztec

Completely wrong names are :
Israeli    -> Jews
English    -> Anglosaxons
Argentine  [who unique lived there ?]
Kenyans    [some major tribe name that live in Kenya, there is surely one]

Can-be-made-better names are :
Polish     -> Polans
French     -> Frankes
Canadian   -> Esquimoes
Ukrainian  -> Kozaks
Hungarian  -> Magyars
Lithuanian -> Baltes
Indian     -> Aryans
Finnish    [there was some more general name that I forgot]

Names I am not sure :
American
Russian
Spanish
Dutch
Czech
Australian
Portuguese
Swedish
Danish

Point 4 :
Egyptian/Greek Thebes
Set minimum city ammount, and add cities until everyone has enough.