[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Re: Re: [Re: Performance (was: [Re: [OpenGL client (

To: Franck Guillaud <f.guillaud@xxxxxxx>, Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rob <spurius@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Developpement freeciv <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Re: Re: [Re: Performance (was: [Re: [OpenGL client (was Re: Re: Project)] (fwd)])]]
From: * <spurius@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 4 Feb 00 17:25:31 America/Fort_Wayne

Franck Guillaud <f.guillaud@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:
>
> ->At 2000/02/03 14:34 , Rob wrote:
> ->
> ->>It looks like we will be having to make some minor server mods, so there
will
> ->>be a gl server also, unless you can think of a better way (fractal
terrain
> ->
> ->First, don't you just want to build your own map generator?  That would
fit
> ->just fine into the existing server.  (Just "set generator 5", or some
such.)

>       I think rob should not modify the server, because you don't
> need it to generate the "fractal part" of the terrain. If your customized
> server generates fractal datas with the help of the existing map, then all
> this code could be moved on the client side.
>
>       Also, I think it's bad in term of software engineering : your are
> mixing client & sever issues. When playing with the (futur) 3d client, I
> want to be able to play with people playing the Gtk client, the Java
> client, the Xaw client...
>

>                                  Franck.

Actually, I was thinking of something along the lines of another generator.
You see, to be compatable with civ2 rules, the 3d landscape is appropriatly
broken down into functional tiles.  To a non-gl client, it can pass just the
tile list.  To a 3d client, it passes the seed number (the client will have a
random number generator coded in, already working on that, so there is no
variance amongst platforms), since map generation here is surprisingly fast;
any computer that can do the 3d should have no problem generating a map in a
fraction of a second.

I'm not sure if the current server saves the random seed number in the file.
If it doesn't, it will need to.  It wouldn't need to save the 3d model or even
the tiles (but for compatability reasons probably will do the latter)

 - Rob

http://webmail.netscape.com.