[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Re: Performance (was: [Re: [OpenGL client (was Re: R

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rob <spurius@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Developpement freeciv <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Re: Performance (was: [Re: [OpenGL client (was Re: Re: Project)] (fwd)])]
From: Franck Guillaud <f.guillaud@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:45:32 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:

->At 2000/02/03 14:34 , Rob wrote:
->
->>It looks like we will be having to make some minor server mods, so there will
->>be a gl server also, unless you can think of a better way (fractal terrain
->
->First, don't you just want to build your own map generator?  That would fit
->just fine into the existing server.  (Just "set generator 5", or some such.)

        I think rob should not modify the server, because you don't
need it to generate the "fractal part" of the terrain. If your customized
server generates fractal datas with the help of the existing map, then all
this code could be moved on the client side.

        Also, I think it's bad in term of software engineering : your are
mixing client & sever issues. When playing with the (futur) 3d client, I
want to be able to play with people playing the Gtk client, the Java
client, the Xaw client...

                                 Franck.