[Freeciv-Dev] Re: po errors (PR#252)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: po errors (PR#252)
From: Philippe Fremy <fremy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 23:19:20 +0100

> I wrote the attached perl script [1] to check for some errors in
> po file translations, in particular printf-styule format mismatches
> compared to the untranslated strings.

By the way, if you like scripting, could you modify your script so that it
checks:

- that there is the same number of '\n' in english and in
translation. I think that now, only strict necessary '\n' are included, so
there should defenitely be the same number of them.

 - when translation has many lines, check that there is a space somewhere
betwen last word and new word. I mean, report this kind of problem:
"this is a nice"
"multiline translation"
that will give
"this is a nicemultiline translation"
because one translator did a small mistake.

- check that the last punctuation character in a translation is the same is
in the original. We often forget some final points in translations

- check that when the first letter is capitilized in english, it is also the
case in translation.
Mmh, I think these are the most common mistakes. Your script might then
really help.

But you might still want to add:
- check for correct french grammar, polish grammar, german grammar, ...
- check translation is semantically correct
:-)

        Philippe