[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Upgrading does not work (PR#248)

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Upgrading does not work (PR#248)
From: Steven Burnap <sburnaplinux@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:52:34 +0000

>   I believe the problem is that obsoletion (and thus upgrade) effects don't
> occur until the full chain of advances from one unit to another is researched.
> In this case, Phalanxes (and Warriors) are obsoleted by Pikemen, which are
> obsoleted by Musketeers; because (I assume) you haven't researched Feudalism,
> you don't have Pikemen and thus your Phalanxes are not obsolete.  Weird but
> true.
>   It would seem more logical for obsolescence to be "transitive" (if A is
> obsoleted by B and B is obsoleted by C, A is obsoleted by C), but maybe this
> is a subtle way of punishing people who don't research the full technology
> tree :)

Civ II has its own quirks here.  It only checks things for upgrades when you
get new technology, and it only upgrades one "step".  For example, if you have
the technology for riflemen and you have a warrior, when you first build
Leonardo's Workshop, it
will be upgraded to a Phalanx.  It will then stay a Phalanx for any number of
turns until you get another advance, either by research or trade, at which
point it will upgrade to a Musketteer, etc, etc.  This can be kind of annoying
and I suspet from this
that it would show the above behavior as well.  (I haven't checked.)

Steve Burnap