[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Upgrading does not work (PR#248)

To: killesreiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Upgrading does not work (PR#248)
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 08:03:25 -0500

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 04:16:31AM -0800, killesreiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
was heard to say:
> Full_Name: Gerhard Killesreiter
> Version: CVS-30.jan.00
> Client: Gtk+
> OS: Linux
> Submission from: (NULL) (132.230.78.165)
>

> After I researched gunpowder and building da Vinci's workshop I noticed
> that the workshop didn't upgrade my phalances. In fact, I could not upgrade
> them manually as well and was still able to build phalances and warriors.

  I believe the problem is that obsoletion (and thus upgrade) effects don't
occur until the full chain of advances from one unit to another is researched.
In this case, Phalanxes (and Warriors) are obsoleted by Pikemen, which are
obsoleted by Musketeers; because (I assume) you haven't researched Feudalism,
you don't have Pikemen and thus your Phalanxes are not obsolete.  Weird but
true.
  It would seem more logical for obsolescence to be "transitive" (if A is
obsoleted by B and B is obsoleted by C, A is obsoleted by C), but maybe this
is a subtle way of punishing people who don't research the full technology
tree :)

  Daniel

--
Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.