[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some ideas + one patch

To: Corin Anderson <corin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some ideas + one patch
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:48:28 +0100

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 02:28:16PM -0800, Corin Anderson wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>
> > 4) Republic/Democracy are very overfeatured w/o Senate. Some
> >    alternative kind of Senate should be set if we have no diplomacy.
> >    Twice as much shields/turn upkeep for military units ? (all units ?)
>
> Having never played pay-Civ, could someone please explain to me the Senate
> feature?  I've figured out that it behaves roughly as a Senate IRL -- that
> it can somehow "block" actions that a player makes.  How does this
> blocking work?  And what actions are put under the scrutiny of the Senate?

It
1) sometimes (don't remember algorithm) forced you to sign cease-of-fire or
peace,
   in civ1 you should not talk with him simply, in civ2 Senate forced you to
talk
2) never allowed to break it (neither attack for one you are in
peace/cease-of-fire
   nor don't agree to continue peace at diplomatic talks)

(technically - if you had peace/cease with someone, and commanded attack,
are-you-sure dialog appeared, with senate, it was always
senate-is-no-sure-for-you)

So it was big handicap for Republic/Democracy and all was quite
balanced (there were some ways around it in both mpcivs, so Senate didn't
always worked, if we were implementing it here, no way arout should be possible)