[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some ideas + one patch

To: Corin Anderson <corin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some ideas + one patch
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 22:33:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Corin Anderson wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>
> > 4) Republic/Democracy are very overfeatured w/o Senate. Some
> >    alternative kind of Senate should be set if we have no diplomacy.
> >    Twice as much shields/turn upkeep for military units ? (all units ?)
>
> Having never played pay-Civ, could someone please explain to me the Senate
> feature?  I've figured out that it behaves roughly as a Senate IRL -- that
> it can somehow "block" actions that a player makes.  How does this
> blocking work?  And what actions are put under the scrutiny of the Senate?

Basically what happens is that it forces you to respect your treaties.

In PayCiv, when you encountered a new civilization properly, there was a
concept of formally making peace. If you made peace as a Despotism -->
Monarchy, then you could declare war simply by attacking a city or unit.
Then, the peace was broken and the AI would attack you back.  The AI would
also break treaties of its own accord, from time to time (but, if you were
more powerful than it, you could trust it quite well; also different AIs
had different personalities).

However, once you were a republic or a democracy, then you couldn't break
a peace treaty, as the senate would overrule you; you had to wait for the
AI to attack you first (which the senate would be happy to interpret as an
act of war).

This was a major disadvantage to these government types, especially if you
were out to conquer.

That's the basics.  Someone else will correct or expand, I'm sure.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Jules aka     | jules@xxxxxxxxxx              |  Richmond, Surrey   |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |