[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Another wonder

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Another wonder
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:30:26 +1100

Tobias Brox wrote:
> > > - International Space Station
> >
> >  In most people's opinion, the space station is no more than
> > a giant pit that the EU, the US, Russia, and Canada are tossing
> > money into in the vain hope that something will come out of
> > it.
>
> What do we have back from the moon race and the apollo mission?  I
> don't think it's much ... some few spin-off scientifical advances, like
> the teflon material, resulting in better (?) frying pans and razors.  We
> would probably have had a lot of communication satellites even without
> manned space flight.

Don't underestimate the number of advances directly resulting from the
space race.

The Apollo project resulted in technology that led to numerous things
from CAT scanners and kidney dialysis to cordless power tools and
freeze-dried food. The Space Shuttle program has contributed technology
that influences a wide range of things from jewerly manufacturer to
artifical hearts. Check out http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/ for details.

Regards,
Steve Hodge