[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Project

To: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue105@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: spurius@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Project
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:24:27 -0600

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 06:25:06PM +0100, Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> I don't think you cant make a spherical world with square tiles in any
> reasoable
> manner, not without rewriting freeciv completely.

        This has been discussed extensively in the game design groups on
usenet.  Toroidal worlds are the "easiest", Civ historically uses a
cylinder.
        Truly spherical worlds are best simulated by turning the map 45
degrees, defining poles to be 0,0 and N/2, N/2, and allowing all
directional map edge crossings.
        Hex or Triangle maps better approximate spheres, too.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."