[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Switching production

To: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Switching production
From: "Andrew McGuinness" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:29:34 -0000

Date sent:              Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:32:48 +0000
From:                   Jason Todd <idjason@xxxxxxxx>
To:                     Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> > The behaviour I would like to see when switching
> > production would be:
> >
> > You get the 50% penalty when switching between types,
> > but this is judged from what you were producing at the
> > start of the turn.
> >
> > e.g. You were producing City Wall, and had 20 shields
> > stored up.  You switch, perhaps accidentally, to
> > producing settlers, and now have 10 shields stored.
> > You change this (in the same turn) to Marketplace, and
> > you now have 20 shields again, as you have not changed
> > types from the start.
> >
> > What do people think?
>
> That almost sounds like you would different shields for improvements and
> units, not to mention wonders.

I suppose, almost, although I don't think that would be worth
implementing.  All I really meant was that the changes that you
make during a turn should be effectively "batched" into one
transaction, largely to allow mistakes to be undone.

On the xaw3d client, I have been bitten by single-clicking the
"change" area on the city list screen, with the effect of changing
production to whatever happened to pop up under the mouse cursor.

I think it's reasonable to say that once you have added some "unit"
shields to your "improvement" shields, you have really converted
those "improvement" shields to "unit" shields (at 50% efficiency),
and cannot convert them back without further loss.  But if you
change your mind before any further production could have taken
place, I think of those shields as not really converted, just ordered
to be converted, and the order can be countermanded.

Andrew McGuinness                     andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Luton, Beds. UK