[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Removed players

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Removed players
From: "Peter Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 02:29:56 +0100

>Is there a reason we have to game_renumber_players when we remove
>someone?
>Is there anyway to leave the player in the game.players?
>Its causing some confusion in the civscore.log and .sav files.
>
>Just wondering.
>--
>Paul Zastoupil

Seconded. Reason:
I thought about the following data, for each (ai-) player an array of
integers that sums up
how annoyed the player is about another player. This would be used to decide
whether to go to war,
and maybe for republic/democracy senate vetoing going to war.
If players are renumbered, all such data structures get more complicated to
access or maintain.

On the other hand .. You could argue you need a function similar to
renumbering anyway whenever
an empire is split by civil war. Civil war is also a reason why you might
want to drop one player
and renumber the rest.

However, some issues for renumbering:
- if a player is removed before the game starts, the player should not
occupy the slot of another player.
- if removed players stay in the game, they have to be saved and loaded
properly.