Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch for "ran out of continents in client" bug

To: schaefer@xxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch for "ran out of continents in client" bug
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:38:22 +1100 (EST)

Peter Schaefer wrote:
> Hung Wah Choy wrote:

> > I'm not sure when exactly the continent numbers are used (or if
> > it is even used) in client. Will setting all cities to same
> > continent number cause any problem if they are actually different?
>
> I don´t know where it is used at all, either.

ChangeLog:

 Thu Jan 28 11:05:58 1999  David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

         * client/climisc.c, client/climisc.h, client/packhand.c: Added
         client-side continent calculations, to support continent-only
         wonder variants (in rulesets).  The client may have imperfect
         knowledge of continents, but it still helps the client to know in
         many cases if an improvement is wonder-replaced.

The following used to be in README.rulesets (eg
http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/README.rulesets?v=1.8.3
) but I removed it before 1.9.0 :/  (thought README.rulesets
shouldn't be cluttered with "historical" information);
should move (have moved) to eg climisc.c

  Client-side continents:  Added functions to calculate continents from
  the point of view of the client, for continent-based wonder effect
  variants.  If the client gets continents wrong (due to connecting
  tiles being unknown), it might for example let you build a power
  plant when it should be wonder-replaced by Hoover Dam.  But the
  effects will still be server-calculated, and hence take into account
  correct continents.
  (I'm not sure if this is the best solution, but it's better (for
  this) than the client having no idea about continents.  Maybe the
  city_info packet should specify which improvements are obsolete or
  wonder-replaced...?)

-- David