Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch for "ran out of continents in client" bug

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch for "ran out of continents in client" bug
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 05:22:40 -0700

Hung Wah Choy wrote:

> Hello Peter,
>
> Just like to point out that there is a theoratical map where
> NCONT can be > 255. " "=sea, "."=known land, "X"=unknown land
>
>      . . . .
>     XXXXXXXXX
>      . . . .
>
> For the above case 1 continent might occupy 8 numbers, a map of
> 200x100 would have ~5000 continents if all islands are like this.

That is correct, but the map generator isn´t supposed to generate so
many islands.

> I'm not sure when exactly the continent numbers are used (or if
> it is even used) in client. Will setting all cities to same
> continent number cause any problem if they are actually different?

I don´t know where it is used at all, either.
Maybe it would be used for ai clients, or to check the possibility of a
goto in the client.
I´m using a special number NCONT-2 which is 254. maybe should be a
global constant.

> Also, I suspect continents are not properly merge (and possibly
> assigned) for north and south poles. Of course, I might be wrong.

Don´t know which lines you point at, but one point, maybe yours, is that
the
special values for north and south are changed, usually increased, by
merging.
To make this correct, you would have to find out which is the lower
continent
index of the continents being merged, so you´d have to do the flood fill
twice.

This is "easy" to do, but is there any interest for this right now :-]