Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Connect feature - version #3

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Connect feature - version #3
From: Jarda Benkovsky <pvt.benkovsk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 19:31:18 +0100

Hi, Jeff and others,

I have finally got to work on the connect feature again.
I have resolved most of the problems you have pointed out:

  - There should be no wasted turns now. Units will happily skip
    unusable tiles and will go by roads quickly.

  - I have made the 'C' icon, it's placed left of 'X' in both
    engels and trident tilesets. I've placed it to left bottom,
    so it's displayed in the same place as 'A' and in addition
    to 'R' etc.

  - I prompt for activity type, so it's possible to connect
    with irrigation and fortresses. The dialog is
    for gtk and xaw clients only. (Xaw needs work - I don't
    know resources enough).

    Should I make new packet type? I exploit (and misuse :-))
    city_id for activity type in packet_unit_request now.
    I have also allocated one bit in packet_unit_info. Should I
    project both these changes in network protocol in capability
    strings somehow?

  - I have come to decision that the Shift-C shortcut would be
    better than Shift-G. Is it possible to give the Ctrl-F to
    Find City and Shift-C to connect (like in this patch)?

bugs and "bugs":
  - No changes in route planner. I did not dare to :-(

  - help is not synced

  - xaw dialog buttons and hotkeys problems

  - mui client not updated and hence probably broken

  - ugly hacks here and there (packet struc, mainly)

  - ai does not use connect. I guess it's not a problem

                                                Edheldil