Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Connect feature - version #3

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Jarda Benkovsky <pvt.benkovsk@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Connect feature - version #3
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 15:57:12 -0500

At 1999/12/13 13:31 , Jarda Benkovsky wrote:
>I have finally got to work on the connect feature again.

Looking good.  I do have some responses and comments.

>  - I prompt for activity type, so it's possible to connect
>    with irrigation and fortresses.

In the "Choose unit activity" dialog:
  - Needs a Cancel button.
  - Should be dynamic (as you mention in the code).
  (See "Select what to pillage" dialog for examples.)

>    Should I make new packet type? I exploit (and misuse :-))
>    city_id for activity type in packet_unit_request now.
>    I have also allocated one bit in packet_unit_info. Should I
>    project both these changes in network protocol in capability
>    strings somehow?

Yes.  I think you should define and use a new packet type.

Yes, you need a capstr (perhaps "connect").  Client should check if server
has "connect", and if not, disable the "Connect" menu item.

>  - I have come to decision that the Shift-C shortcut would be
>    better than Shift-G. Is it possible to give the Ctrl-F to
>    Find City and Shift-C to connect (like in this patch)?

I agree with this.  Even though it means breaking compatibility with Civ2
key mappings, I think it's worth it in this case.  Other opinions?

BTW, there's a small bug in data/Freeciv which makes this shortcut not work
in the xaw client.  A quick fix is simply to move your new "Shift<Key>c:"
line up to be the very first line in the ".translations" section.

>  - No changes in route planner. I did not dare to :-(

I understand, but...  Without a route planner that understands a preference
for cardinal moves, irrigation won't work and other things will work badly.
 (I tried irrigation, and it failed completely!)

I'd like an improved route planner, anyway.  So, I'll take a look at this
and see if it can't be fixed up a little -- at least enough for connect to
work.

>  - help is not synced

I think you only need to change the "Controls" section.

>  - xaw dialog buttons and hotkeys problems

If you get this to perform the basic function, I'll fix it up later.

Sebastian Bauer <sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx> maintains the mui client.

>  - ai does not use connect. I guess it's not a problem

I don't think it's a problem, either.

Comments:

I think the "Connect" menu item belongs with the "Auto" items -- it is an
automated function, after all.  Perhaps as the first one, just before "Auto
Settler".

All your new translatable strings should be marked for translation, using
either _(), N_() or Q_(), as appropriate.

In addition to Road, Irrigation and Fortress, I'd like to see Railroad.
How hard would this be to add?

Finally, please don't update the ChangeLog file -- it is maintained
quasi-automatically from the CVS commit log messages.

jjm