Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: I18n problems

To: "Freeciv Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Falk Hueffner" <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: I18n problems
From: "Claus Leth Gregersen" <leth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:26:55 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > During translation of freeciv.pot I've hit two problems.
> >
> > First is with "Name" in city report (and maybe few other places). "Name"
> > is used for player name, city name maybe laso unit name somewhere. In
> > polish name of person is very different word from name of thing. So, if
> > I could ask, change either player "Name" to "Your name" or "Player name"
> > or change other "Name"s to specific ones - like "City name".
>
> I would guess something like this happens very frequently, and
> changing the original text seems very clumsy. I would have a look at
> the gettext manual, or ask on the gettext mailing list first.
>
> Falk

The obvious cure is to add translation for english aswell.
Since the default string, is the (english) index-string, you won't have to
add translation for anything
but these kinds of string.
So use "your_name" "player_name" "city_name" etc., in the code, and
translate it to "name" in the tiny english translation, and to whatever it's
called in polish etc.

Noone said I18N was going to make the code less obscure ;)

/Claus Leth Gregersen.