Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] City styles - proposal.

To: "jrb3@xxxxxxxx (Joseph Beckenbach III, CCP)" <jrb3@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] City styles - proposal.
From: a_beraud@xxxxxxxx (Alexandre BERAUD)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:47:42 +0200 (MET DST)

>> Warning, there are always problems with overlaying using .xpm files,
>> for the .xpm style does not support transparency and then, antialiasing.
>
>       Beg pardon?  XPM explicitly allows for transparent pixels -- see the
>first page of the official specification, searching for the word "none".
>Anti-aliasing is a differnt issue entirely.

OK, I was quite certain I would be misunderstood. I KNOW you can save
your transparent BACKGROUND in .xpm format, but I mean transparent
pixels. For example, if you use a transparent background and draw
transparent pixels on it, you can save it with the .xcf format and get
it back later with the same aspect, shape, transparent pixels, and so
on. But if you save it using the .xpm format, all transparent pixels
wille be, either deleted if too much transparent, or changed to full
opacity. This is a problem for sprites having a good looking over the
background.
But maybe some aspects of the .xpm fornat are unknown to me ?

Regards,

Alex