Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap updated.

To: dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Roadmap updated.
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:09:28 +0200

> As you noted, current cvs has lots of changes compared to 1.8.1;
> I think some of these changes are not quite ready for a stable
> release, and since the next version will be incompatible I would
> like to make a few more incompatible changes before then, rather
> than after.

'Closed for repair.'

There aren't many regular Freeciv players on the Internet, but the
metaserver is still the best way to meet other players, it attracts
new players and helps them find assistance.  I'm not quite sure how
many servers are started on an average day, but it's between 10 and 20.
Multiplayer capability is Freeciv's biggest selling point.

 > So I'm not keen to make a new stable release based on CVS just yet;
> I'd prefer to do a bit more development, then perhaps some 1.8.x
> beta versions leading up to a new stable 1.9.0.

If platinum.daimi.aau.dk comes back within a few days, this is acceptable.
But as far as we know, it may never come back.  I'd rather have an
unstable version that is present on the Internet, than a stable one
for single user play.

> OTOH a 1.8.2 based on 1.8.1 with just a change to the metaserver
> would be ok, but would it be worthwhile?

As far as I'm concerned, it would.

--
Reinier