Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion concerning tile specs

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion concerning tile specs
From: sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastian Bauer)
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 13:04:13 +0100

Hello David

>> Actually at least the trident tile set don't use so
>> much colors that a png format is really necessary
> But, we have a chicken and egg problem: the current
> tilesets _cannot_ use lots of colours because xpm
> doesn't support lots of colours well!  (I don't know
> if Tatu Rissanen has a high-colour version which the
> xpms are derived from or not.)

Yes, that's clear. I thought the trident tile set
was meant to be good for few color displays.
If there is a trident tile set with 24bit color
or something else the trident tile set should be in
png format of course ;-)

>>  So I also suggest to make the trident
>> tile set as the default tile set because for the
>> current default tile set it might be useful to be
>> in the png file format.
> Well, I was also going to suggest making the trident set
> the default, simply because they look good and are a good
> default size :-)

Yes, the current default tile set looks really very big when
using a 640x480 mode ;-)

bye,
Sebastian Bauer