Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion concerning tile specs

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion concerning tile specs
From: sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastian Bauer)
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:03:10 +0100

Hello David

>> Also the first way has the adventage that you needn't
>> to care in the cvs for the fileformat and you still
>> can let the xpm gfx files inside (because both the xaw
>> and the gtk understand this format) which is probably better
>> than a binary format?
>> Which gfx format is really used in the distribution archive
>> can be choosen by the creator of the archive. If the
>> client can read only xpm he have of course no choice and
>> can only incude the xpm files. But if the client understands
>> additionally e.g. a png format he can convert the xpms to
>> pngs and include them instead.
> Yes, but the problem here is that ideally the _base_ format
> should be png, so one can have lots of colours, and that
> would be converted to xpm (with fewer colours) for clients
> which don't support png, not the other way around.

Doesn't png add new dependies for gtk client?

Actually at least the trident tile set don't use so
much colors that a png format is really necessary (at
least the price that the xaw client cannot read them
before they are not converted ist too high, IMO).
But if somebody create a new png tile set with more
colors we can still do them in the cvs. But this tile
set mustn't be the default one because I think the
default tile should be readable by all clients without
any changes. So I also suggest to make the trident
tile set as the default tile set because for the
current default tile set it might be useful to be
in the png file format. If a user of a client which
cannot read the png format wants this tile set
he can convert it to xpm (and he needn't to change
the tilespec files then)

bye,
Sebastian Bauer