Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Zulu flag - why Rwanda?

To: qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Zulu flag - why Rwanda?
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 11:43:41 +1000 (EST)

Jerzy Klek <qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I started to wonder why rwandan flag is used for Zulu
> civilization.

Yeah, good question; maybe its a civ2 legacy thing?

> Zulu people live in Republic of South Africa,
> mainly in the province of Natal, (which is now named
> Kwa Zulu-Natal, though I am not sure).
> So here is my flag.xpm, together with flag.xpm.spec
> which has south african flag instead of rwandan one.

Thanks; its not clear the South African flag is really
appropriate either (modern vs historic), but it would
match other usage (Romans, Aztecs, Babylonians etc).

One note: its not so bad now since the tilespec system is
still new and possibly in flux, but in general when changing
the tilespec files, one should only _add_ tag strings, and
not remove any, since in multiplayer games other servers/
clients may be expecting the old tags to exist.

Also, with tilespec you can now freely change the layout
of the graphics files, so you need not feel limited to
28 different flags.

Also also, please gzip large files, and/or upload to ftp
incoming instead and just post a note.

-- David