Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Separate server and client data

To: abies@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Separate server and client data
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:24:02 +1000 (EST)

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:

> For now, all game data is kept in single directory hierarchy - together
> for client and server. I think that it would be better to separate this
> things - in server-data and client-data dirs, or data/server and
> data/client. It would make layout more clear (it would be obvious which
> files are server side) and allow making separate packages for client and
> server if somebody wants.

It would make some things slightly clearer, but some things
also slighly more complicated :-/

For example, the freeciv data path (default, or setable via
$FREECIV_PATH).  Currently there is one path/variable used
by the client and/or server.  Under the above scheme should
there be two paths, or a single path with client and server
subdirs?

Currently modpacks can mostly just create a new subdirectory
in the data dir (installed data dir or ~/.freeciv) and put
stuff there, but with this scheme they would have to put stuff
separately in the client and server areas, which would be a
bit more awkward.

Also, CVS does not handle substantial changes in directory
structure very gracefully...

So while in principle it might be better to have the client
and server data separate, I think the benefit is too small
to make a big re-arrangement worthwhile at this stage.

Anyone who wants to change stuff in the data directory
needs to know about what they're changing and how its used
anyway, so the advantage there is only small.  I'm pretty
sure packagers are able to pick and choose what to include
in what packages anyway if they want.

Feel free to submit a README/"manifest" file which explains
what the individual files in the data dir are for if you like.
(I've been meaning to write-up an overview of the freeciv
source tree (eg source modules, data) but lack round tuits.)

-- David