Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] i18n for all eternity

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] i18n for all eternity
From: Alex Sandro Queiroz <asandro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:52:55 -0300 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:

> Um, the reason is in the text included above.  Let me re-state:
> if you use one big file, it will be hard to keep track of which
> translations are up-to-date.  If you use gettext markings and
> tools, this is handled mostly automatically.  Since the base
> (English) helptext tends to have steady changes (sometimes small,
> sometime big), I think this is a significant issue.

        Well, I guess the main reason to split helpdata.txt from source,
in early days, was to allow modifications without a recompile. Since after
i18n modifications made to that file will require regeneration of the .mo
files, that won't be anymore.
        Combining helpdata with sources will help keeping the translations
up-to-date, however, it will change a lot of code... Just something to
think about.

  --Alex asandro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx PET - Computacao/UFC
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." - Confucius