Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCIV on BSDI etc.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCIV on BSDI etc.
From: Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 00:07:37 +0000

Tony Stuckey wrote:

> > > Well its smart .. like the diplomats can steal techs from them and
> > > caravans can help you generate more money.
> >
> >       Doesn't the AI controlled city gain an equal amount of money from
> > a trade route with a player's city?  Or am I thinking civ2 and not
> > freeciv?
>
>         Civ1 trade routes are 1 way, and you can only have 3 of them.
>         Civ2 trade routes are as you describe.  Freeciv doesn't implement
> food caravans yet, however.
>         I haven't played CivTOT, SMAC, or CTP to know how they handle
> trade.

        In SMAC, one nation, because its cities are larger or perhaps
based on city development or current economics tech (not sure),
can get an advantage in trade with another nation, ie. trade
surplus or deficit.  It will actually tell you in the info display
what you are making from the route and what the other city is
making from it.

        If we decide in freeciv that each city gains equally, then we
should teach the AI not to attack caravans, since its in the AI's
interest to get the trade route.

--
Ed C.