Re: [Freeciv-Dev] cmdlevel: sticky and moved out of connection into pl

To: garymoyer@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] cmdlevel: sticky and moved out of connection into player structure
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:04:14 +1000 (EST)

Gary Moyer wrote:

> > An enhancement which was planned, but not yet implemented, was
> > to have some sort of cookie system to allow recognising previous
> > users on reconnection.
>
> A cookie would require that you login from the same machine, correct?  I don't
> think that would suffice.

The idea was to have this in a user-readable text file (with also
a cookie to identify the server), and in the (comparatively rare?)
case that the user moves machine, they could copy/move the cookie
file (or individual entry) as well.  Or send it to a friend who
wants to take over, etc.  Or they could ask the console server
operator to reset their protection, assuming such a capability.

I'm not really interesting in making this stuff cryptographically
secure, and having passwords seems like more hassle for the user
(have to remember them etc) than its worth.  Also passwords may
give a false impression of more security than really exists
(despite whatever disclaimers we might make...)

Regards,
-- David