Re: [Freeciv-Dev] i18n for all eternity

To: hck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Gabor Dukai <dukai@xxxxxxxx>, David Perez Serrada <dperezs@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] i18n for all eternity
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:13:01 +1000 (EST)

"Ba'rdosi Zolta'n" <hck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. when do we want to make freeciv i18n'd?

Right now!  Roughly :-)

> 2. how? any special rules, ideas? or just putting some _( ) around text
> constants?

There are some complications, but a lot of stuff can be
internationalised by marking string constants and then providing
translations.  (I think David Perez Serrada has more information
at a URL I can't find just now...)

Please send patches :-)

(There were some previous patches which started doing some
marking/translating; I've been meaning to get back to them,
but if they could be updated and re-sent (now that basic gettext
support is in freeciv CVS) that would be good.)

>  once this is complete, i think i can post hungarian translation

Thanks.  I have CC'd to Gabor Dukai <dukai@xxxxxxxx>, who
previously did a partial (pre-gettext) translation to Hungarian
(see in ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/contrib/development/l10n/)

Regards,
-- David