Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Universities and Research Labs

To: caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Universities and Research Labs
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:47:22 +1000 (EST)

Lindqvist Marko <caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  It just caught my eye that intendentation for set_city_tax_bonus() and
> set_city_science_bonus() is different. So I studied the code and found out
> that Research Labs do have an effect even without university being there
> any longer. This is not the case with other buildings that require old
> buildings to exist when they are built.

Yes, this does seem anomolous, although as pointed out this
affects the usefulness of SETI.  Do we know the Civ2 behaviour
for this (both ordinary research, and SETI) ?

>  Personally I'd like to see those buildings requiring old buildings at
> building time to still have some effect even after that old building is
> destroyed. On the other hand, someone may want give diplomats a change to
> make three buildings useless by just destroing one.

Well, it should be a ruleset option/field of course :-)

Basically, the requirement itself should be a ruleset field
(per building), and then you could have a separate field or
flag (again preferably per-building) of whether/how it worked
if the requirement was subsequently lost.

Regards,
-- David