Re: [Freeciv-Dev] build queue

To: Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] build queue
From: Lindqvist Marko <caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:13:19 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> > But then your queue entries would not be saved when the game is saved.
> > (How important would that be?)
>
> Couldn't the client just save them in the home directory?
>
> This seems the cleanest way to implement build queues to me.

 Client doesn't know when game is saved. Also naming of the savefile could
be a bit problematic.

 For saving some game specific information from client there's two
possibilities. First one is to add new packets PACKET_SAVE_FILE and
PACKET_LOAD_FILE, which server uses in order to keep savefiles
synchronized. Of course in case of lost connections and client side
crashes there's nobody there to perform save.
 Second change is to make server add some data from clients to savegames.
So used bandwith is the same, but client is no longer so dependant to what
server can do for it.
 Is there any real need to save some data from standard clients that is
game specific? If there is maybe I should clean up and publish my patch
that allows clients to make small additions to savefile.
 At least I'd like to know which way, PACKET_SAVE_FILE or server saving
information for client is more likely to appear in freeciv, so I could
develop cazaic to the right direction.

 Caz