Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Goto on client ?

Cc: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Goto on client ?
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 13:39:52 +0200

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:

> Goto is currently handled by server. Shouldn't it be handled in client ?
> This would make it more realistic (no data client do not know about
> would be used), reduce load on server and allow displaying proposed
> route to player on client dynamically. If it would be handled on client
> entirely some of problems could go away - client would just send normal
> unit move requests, reducing number of special goto cases on server.
>
> Artur

Partly true, partly false - if the server gets every move as a single packet,
this is extra traffic and load.

If the client does the route calculation, and sends the goto command
as a single packet with a list of goto commands, which get executed as one
activity,
there is a gain !

The server supports AI - this means the server will still need to calculate
some routes.

Currently the server spends most of it's time looking at the terrain of tiles -
I think pathfinding might run faster if the map data that is used by the goto
is stored in one continous array by itself, because this would raise the
number of CPU cache hits.

--
Peter Schäfer - mailto:schaefer@xxxxxx, schaefer@xxxxxx
Support the Campaign to Save Iridium Telecom -