Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Graphics file format

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Graphics file format
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 17:18:34 +0200

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Note that some of the hardcoded values have recently moved
> into the terrain ruleset.  So any config-file method would
> have to interoperate with ruleset files.  Eg, perhaps the
> ruleset file specifies the tagname (+number?) for each type
> of tile, and then the tile config file says which file and
> offset that corresponds to...

One of things that bugs me here is that tileset graphics is in fact
client thing only. Passing offsets directly from server require server
to know exactly what layout of tiles client use. I think it would be
best to have tile config file, mentioned here, only on client - with
client specific options. This way server do not have to know if there
are 4 mountain tiles, or 16 - he just informs that terrain type n has id
string "mountain" - it is up to client to render it to something
resembling mountain.

And one more thing about file formats - please use something with full
alpha channel. It would help a known-map-border icon a lot to use full
alpha.

Artur