Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Sound support; sounds needed [alpha test patch]

To: Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Sound support; sounds needed [alpha test patch]
From: Sune Kirkeby <sune@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 15:11:09 +0200

On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 03:36:19PM -0500, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> It is my proud pleasure to announce that I am adding full sound
> support to Freeciv.  No longer do you need to play in sullen silence,
> watching your enemies' empires silently topple, without so much as the
> sound of a single shot.

This is most definetly cool.

If only it would work for me.

After installing the nas-lib and nas-dev (v. 1.2p5-7) packages I
was still unable to get ./configure to see the audio library,
I have attached config.log. (Debian 2.1, kernel 2.2.10, ESS1688
on-board sound chip that works perfectly).

  [  SNIP  ]

> * Use .civclientrc for configuration.  (Presently, a separate file is
>   used.)

Probably not a good idea, the sound events should IMHO be split
into the existing rulesets.

For example:
o The unit specific sounds should probably be configured in
units.ruleset. So that after installing a mod-pack you wont hear the
sound of armor rolling over riflemen, when your dragon fries a
group of elves...

o The "completed construction of XYZ" counds (by similar rationale
as above) should go in buildings.ruleset.

o The diplamat action sounds, trireme sunk, plane crash, etc sounds
could be handled by adding two (or more?) optional, special sounds
to each unit. Not a nice hack, but it could work...

  [  SNIP  ]
> +
> +   Illegal moves that need notification:
> +   * ZOC violations (server/unittools.wav:91)
> +   * Attacking w/ nonattacking piece
> +   * Need access to water to irrigate
> +   * Improvement not valid on this terrain
> +

Add:
* Cannot build railroad w/o the railroad advance.
* Cannot build farmland w/o refrigeration advance.

  [  SNIP  ]
> +
> +/* FIXME I need malloc and NULL.  I'm using stdlib; what's the ANSI
> + * Right Thing? */

The man-page on my system says that <stdlib.h> is the correct
include file for malloc and friends. It also claims to be ANSI-C
conformant.

  [  SNIP  ]
> diff -rNuX diff-exclude -X freeciv-1.8.1/diff-exclude
> freeciv-1.8.1.orig/client/audio.h freeciv-1.8.1/client/audio.h
> --- freeciv-1.8.1.orig/client/audio.h Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969
> +++ freeciv-1.8.1/client/audio.h      Sat Jul 31 09:34:29 1999

This should probably go into client/include.

--
Sune Kirkeby | "Imagine, if you will, that there were no such