Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civ2 modpacks

Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civ2 modpacks
From: Stefano Busti <asbusti@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 19:34:28 +0000

Andy Black wrote:
> At 8:20 AM +0000 7/24/99, Stefano Busti wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've been considering writing a patch and some utilities for freeciv
> >which could allow people to use some of the many Civ 2 modpacks
> >that are out there.
> >
> >After a quick scan through the source code, I was thinking along the
> >lines of a patch to implement 3 extra user-definable units (a la
> >Civ2), and a perl script for converting Civ2's units.txt and *.gif
> >files to freeciv *.ruleset and *.xpm format (or at least the parts
> >which can be converted).
> >
> >Before I try, I'm just wondering if there'd be any interest in
> >such a patch. Do any of the more experienced freeciv hackers out
> >there think it's feasible, or am I just spouting drivel? :)
>
> The only problem I can think of is the diagonal/isometric maps vs
> square/grid maps and the problems resulting from those differences.
>
> Andy Black

True, that'd be a problem. I suppose I could get round that
by mapping half the squares in the Civ2 maps in a checkerboard
pattern to adjacent squares in the freeciv map,
though that would lose a lot of detail. Alternatively I could
leave out the maps and restrict the conversions to units
and techs.

Since I've only had one reply to my mail, though, I can assume
there wouldn't be much demand. Ho well :/

--
\\ Stefano Busti (asbusti@xxxxxxxxxxxx) \\