Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More ideas, maybe some AI

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More ideas, maybe some AI
From: Andy Black <ablack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:56:18 -0600

At 9:16 AM +0200 7/21/99, Peter 'g00bER' Kosinar wrote:
>Hi Freeciv developers !

[snip]

> + comparation with some great leaders (as in Civ1) - like David Pfitzer,
>   Solomon the wise, average Freeciv-developer, average Freeciv-player,
>   or for each nation separately (ex, american - Lincoln, Washington,
>   Roosevelt, Lee, Grant, etc.)

the theroretical government file could include the comparison names, or we
could use the names like David Pfitzer, average Freeciv-developer, average
Freeciv-player, new Freeciv-player for general comparison.

> harder ones:
> ? genders - to distinguish between Queen/King, Mr./Mrs. President, and
>   also to make players know whom they are playing with :)

add a male/female flag to the player information, include the extra data in
that govenment file

> *? my personal vision is that there will be a network (for beginning one)
>   of meta-civserver(s) that will get the information about running civservers
>   (and some information about them, like max. people limit, version, etc.)
>   and the clients will connect to this meta-civserver, find out the civserver
>   most suitable for their purposes (location, gamestyle, other people, etc.)
>   and connect to it. The civservers will periodically send information
>   about them (users, running games, ...) to the metaserver. The people
>   connected to the same civserver will be able to start game(s), like on
>   irc, when people (clients) join the channel (game) and the operator
>   (someone) changes the mode for channel (start game).
>   However, this is probably highly unrealistic with the code written....
>   just a vision. But... if it would be possible ... I'd like to help to
>do it.

Would it be possible to run the comunications over IRC?
there was talk about an IRC lobby a while back.
get the source for an irc client, have the lobby chanel fixed as #freeciv,
the game list would be on #freeciv-meta, game data would run on
#freeciv-data-<root user> game chat would run on #freeciv-chat-<root user>,
<root user> is the irc handle for the player sho started the game.  On
second thought, that wouldn't work because hacked clients could learn
everything that was sent over the irc chanels, and therefore everything
that was happening on the map.  However,  the idea with multiple leaders on
a team (or a leader and advisors) could comunicate data and thoughts by
IRC, so prehaps the data chanels would look like
#freeciv-data-<gameid>-<race> and the chat chanels would look like
with a unique id for each game runing at the time, <race> is a non-ai race.
The members of each of the <gameid>-<race> chanels would be the player(s)
involved in that race, and the server.  The server works like it does now,
but all members of the team cache the sent data in case it is needed.  The
data cache would be flushed at the end of the turn,  the map cache would
not be.  to comunicate with other races, mesages on the chat line would be
phrased like "<race>: bla bla bla", <race> is the name of the race they are
comunicating with.  Prehaps only the designated leader could comunicate
with other races?

Sorry about that mess.

Andy Black

PS.  Sorry, but I may not have time to help with that last idea :-(