Re: [Freeciv-Dev] rulesets; was terrain ruleset implementation

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] rulesets; was terrain ruleset implementation
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:40:58 -0400

At 1999/07/17 10:30 , David Pfitzner wrote:

>But one thing I regret about rulesets was making each ruleset
>_require_ a separate directory.  So before a data/civ2 dir gets
>added, I suggest the attached patch, which allows just adding
>data/civ2_terrain.ruleset (while still also allowing
>the old form too, for existing rulesets/modpacks).

I actually *like* lots of directories -- it seems more organized to me.
However, I can see that it'd be a pain if all you want to do is override
ONE ruleset file, and having to create a directory to do it.  So, having
*both* is probably a great idea -- lots of files can go into their own
directory, but single files can just live in data.

>I'm now inclined to favour a less compact format, eg,
>something more like the old-style savefile format:
>
>[unit0]
>name = "Settlers"
>tech_req = "None"
>obsolete_by = "Engineers"
>graphic = 24
>move_type = "land"
>..
>flags = "Settlers", "NonMil"
>
>[unit50]
>name = "Explorer"
>
>etc.

I, too, like this style (I've used it on Windows), but it has a downside:
having to keep the index numbers unique and sequential.  (This can be
overcome, but it's not pretty ;-)  Is there a way to get a list of the
names of all the sections in a registry file?  If so, then we could do
something like:

[Settlers]
tech_req = "None"
obsolete_by = "Engineers"