Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] struct government

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] struct government
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 22:19:44 -0400

Sune Kirkeby (sune@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> TODO:

> o Implement the features needed for fundamentalism:
>   - Units that require a government to be built, and have special
>     upkeep values under that government. (Fanatics).

The first part of this will be necessary for a (future) CTP mode as well.

>   - NO_UNHAPPY_CITIZENS flag for governments.

Hmm... trying to think of a generalization for this.  CTP uses several
different per-government variables which affect happiness -- two factors
for the amount of unhappiness caused by war losses (home vs. overseas),
a factor for the amount of unhappiness generated by pollution, a factor
for the number of units which effectively enforce martial law, a factor
for the amount of happiness generated by each unit under martial law,
etc., etc....

That's a lot of new fields, the majority of which will be unused in
Civ2 mode.  But depending on how far ahead you want to think, it may be
useful to put them in now.

But there's nothing in CTP analogous to Fundamentalism's "nobody is ever
unhappy" effect from Civ2.

>   - CONVERT_TITHES_TO_MONEY flag for governments (surplus only?).

That's Civ2 only. :-)

>   - A research penalty that is applied after all other modifiers.

CTP has a research factor for each government, but it's applied before
all other modifiers.  (This takes the place of the "extra trade in each
tile that already has trade" rule for Republic/Democracy.)

>   - A diplomatic penalty modifier when international incidents occur.
>     (Spy places nuke in city, goes to war, etc).

Ah, I always forget about that one.  Civ2 only.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bogus feature?  "They set off a
nuclear bomb in downtown New York... but it's OK, we'll forgive them...
after all, they've got religion."  Yeah, right.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.