Re : [Freeciv-Dev] put trident tiles in dist?

To: "David Pfitzner" <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re : [Freeciv-Dev] put trident tiles in dist?
From: a_beraud@xxxxxxxx (Alexandre BERAUD)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:16:07 +0200 (MET DST)

David Pfitzner wrote:

>It has been suggested to me that we could replaced the
>classic tiles by the trident tiles for the 1.8.1 release.
>I tend to agree.  Would anyone object?

Absolutely not. They are very good. But what about people
like me who have a small screen but would like more than
32/64 colors ??? ;o)

>(And the reason not to include them all is to not make
>the basic distribution too large, though it is arguable
>how important this is.  Ballpark sizes: about extra 50 kB
>to tar.gz for typical 30x30 set, I think.  Much more for
>a 45x45 set.  Also, if we start including more than 2 sets,
>then what if people keep submitting more different sets?)

Maybe you'd like to know that the terrains I am actually
drawing with a 45x45 size and full colors weight something
like 2.5 megs (not compacted), and ONLY the terrains !

>Another option would be to keep extra tiles (eg classic/brunus)
>in CVS, but not in the relase distribution (and also on ftp).
>That would increase the size for people doing cvs checkouts,
>and of the cvs snapshots...

I think there should be tilesets available on the web site (like
the dwp favorites) released with a small script that replaces
that default tileset. For example, my terrains are NOT supposed
to be indexed to less than 256 colors and people who want
such graphics could download the package, launche the script and
have this tileset replace the default one.
Or maybe we could create "themes" and make it easier to choose
one tileset or another (and it would be a nice feature to add
to my 'wmciv' ;o)).

>Comments?

Yes. See above :o)

Regards,