Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Adjusting map when units approach the edge

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Adjusting map when units approach the edge
From: Ross Arnold <rossa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 19:38:41 +1200

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:
> Personally, I would like to see the screen shift one square sooner when you
> approach an edge (any edge, not just the bottom).  I believe it now
> automatically centers on a unit when that unit moves adjacent to an edge.
> However, during play I always find myself manually centering it myself
> *before* that move, because although I can see the square I would be moving
> into, I also like to see what I'm moving *adjacent* to.  I think it would be
> a good human-engineering improvement to have it do the automatic centering
> one, or even two, squares sooner.

Perhaps the adjustment could be related to the vision of the unit?
I think the client should (at least) display everything the unit being
moved can see.

This will be even more important when fog of war is introduced -
as things stand, you'll sail your destroyer near the edge of the map and
not see the enemy battleship two squares away, even though your unit can
see it.

Ross