Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Start script for newbies.

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Start script for newbies.
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:02:58 -0700

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Paul Zastoupil wrote:
>
> > There should be a simple script in the dist, that contains something
> > like the following:
> > ser -r autostart & #The autostart script should contain create ai, set
> > maxplayers 2
> > civ #maybe at some point we could force the client to connect from the
> > commandline
>
> If you put set maxplayers=1 in autostart, I think the server
> will start as soon as a player connects (and I think if you
> set aifill > 1 it will still work -- should check; if not,
> can probably fix it so).

This would be a good idea.

> My main concern with this approach is that as soon as the player
> wants to do someting non-trivial (eg, save a game and later
> reload the savegame) it breaks down, and the player must be
> exposed to some more complicated Truths...

Yeah I realize this.  I don't know if it is worth it or not.  It will
make starting up a simple game easy, but educate no one.

> (Though once client commands are implemented (allowing authorised
> players to give the server commands via the chatline) you could
> setup autostart to give the player full permissions, and then get
> around this problem to some extent...)

Well maybe then this should be a long term solution, not a script as I
was saying.  Once we have server control in the client we can do all
kinds of tricks, bring up windows with server options etc.

Ok forget the scripts. :)

--
Paul Zastoupil