Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bug...?

To: "David J. Meyer" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bug...?
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 08:35:07 +0100

"David J. Meyer" wrote:

> > You are using debian, right?  Have you tried using one of
> > the pre-packaged debs for freeciv?  Also look into the debian
> > "xaw-wrappers" package.  (Though one problem may be if the deb
>
> I do indeed use debian; however, the last package which I was able to
> easily find (well, ok, which I bothered to look for) was for the 1.5.2
> version.  I did find a nifty little workaround for my problem however; it
> turns out that the runtime linker was what was supplying the shared
> libraries that were being used (of course).  In /etc/ld.so.conf, my system
> is configured to search /usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d before /usr/X11R6/lib (and
> thus I was getting the Xaw3d version of the Xaw library at runtime).  In
> the "civ" shell script which comes with freeciv, I just put in a little
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib (and then an export, of course).  This
> solved the problem, since ld.so searches the path in the environmental
> variable before it searches in ld.so.conf.

A brief note, before people on this list get the idea has debian has
complete f***ed up the Xaw/xaw3d thing - Debian actually copes rather
nicely with it, a package called xaw-wrappers allows package maintainers
to specify, on a per-package level, which programs will run with which
xaw replacements.

Unfortunately, xaw-wrappers just changed its API in the current
development version, and freeciv hasn't be re-uploaded to use the new
system.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |