Re: [Freeciv-Dev] AI

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] AI
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 07:22:54 +0200

On 1999-05-09 15:01:24, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Daniel Sjolie wrote:
>
> > Also, who has programmed the AI that is now?
>
> Most of the current AI is by John Stonebraker,
> (email address in eg Freeciv AUTHORS file) but he is no
> longer involved in freeciv development.
> Minor other improvements have been made by various people
> ("see the ChangeLog for details").

Ok, I figured that out...
Read the README... : p

> > I think the units AIs (if there is one) should be on the server
> > and everything else on the client...
>
> If the ai is going client-side, why do you think the unit
> AIs should stay on the server?  I guess the server may
> still need to provide Goto/Autosettler/Autoexplore functions,
> but quite possibly a client-side AI wouldn't want to use
> them, prefering to keep full control itself.

Because it makes sense to me... : )
The units are a part of the world and the world should
be on the server...
The client shouldn't have any possibility to cheat...
(Not to prevent cheating but it seems the right way to me)
The AI that should be in the client is the player AI (that
should do exactly what a player does) and it's 'government' : )
That is - all the specialized helper AIs/advisors...
These AIs shouldn't care if they're helping an AI player
or a real player...

The Unit AIs should be a non-issue for a while (more or less)
since at least I consider that a low priority if we ever would
have anything like that...
*If* we should have any kind of smart units their AI should be
in the server but as long as they're really stupid (just pieces
being moved around) I am perfectly happy with the 'moving AI'
being in the client...

Do You see the difference?
Maybe it was kind of stupid to bring it up...
I really don't see smart units anytime soon and
I see how this talk could be confusing...

If You don't get my point - just forget about it... : )

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)