Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
[freeciv-dev] Q re image files.

To: - freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-dev] Q re image files.
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:58:04 -0500

I added some images to units.xpm this evening, mostly by using The GIMP
to paste together pieces trimmed off the existing images.  While I was
working I blew everything up by 4.444x, so that it would be big enough
to make the trims easily and so each unit image could be easily aligned
within a 200x200 square.  When done, I shrank it back down to the 45x45
format.

However, the resulting file is absolutely huge, and it takes a long time
to load into the client.  I presume this is because the stretch-shrink
cycle unintentionally added a lot of fine detail.

Anyway, does anyone know how to reduce the size of the file without
doing too much damage to the images?

Thanks,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas